Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Emily Dickinson

So for the longest time I have been pretty indifferent about Emily Dickinson and her writing. I haven't really liked her, but I can't say I disliked her poems. I do have to admit that I find her liberal use of capitalization and dashes very intriguing. I also find it interesting that no one really knows why she writes like she does. After reading "My Life had stood--a Loaded Gun--" I've decided that I do actually enjoy Dickinson. This isn't the first time I've read this poem, but it is the first time I've actually retained what she's saying in it. I guess the overall poem is a bit strange--comparing her life to a gun--but for some reason it interests me to a great extent. I like how Dickinson was able to compare a life to such a random object, and even better is that what she said made sense to me. I actually get where Dickinson's coming from in this poem, which makes it a lot easier and more interesting to read. I guess I really enjoyed how she chose something a person normally wouldn't think of when they're describing a life, but Dickinson was able to create 24 lines of, in my opinion, really great writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment